About Me

My photo
I just returned back to the States after 11 years in Taiwan with my daughter. Taiwan is an excellent base for us explore Asia, while living in relative (gun free) safety, while benefiting from a cheap and efficient national health care system. The people are amazing too. I have Taiwanese friendships that are 20 years old and I'm always making new ones! My coworker here in CO is from Taiwan.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Tincture On A Shelf

You didn’t judge farewells all too well
Escaping duty without an explanation
When I ended us as clear as January ice
As final as hypothermic oblivion

You dropped off my earth like a mammoth in the new sun era
A faceless man without a map
Crippled by riddles hanging heavy
Over your horned, hooded brow
The mark of Cain, an air of dread
You’ll not ever acquire armistice under your flag
Your crowning breath will exhale a cutting, stale regret
Like a swelling carcinoma it nourishes off you now
Mushrooming, consuming your soul

While alone mothering our daughter
I breathe mercy while you slumber
Make amends, pick the balsam leaves
Ask forgiveness, apply the evergreen compress
In my home behind the kitchen hearth is a chamber
An ancient apothecary
Full of herbs gathered and dried, distilled since girlhood
Just for your signal of distress
There’s a tincture in a box on a shelf
Overlaid with dust and cobwebs


No comments:

Post a Comment