About Me

My photo
I just returned back to the States after 11 years in Taiwan with my daughter. Taiwan is an excellent base for us explore Asia, while living in relative (gun free) safety, while benefiting from a cheap and efficient national health care system. The people are amazing too. I have Taiwanese friendships that are 20 years old and I'm always making new ones! My coworker here in CO is from Taiwan.

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Power Outage After Dinner

The night before I found out my niece Emma was killed, I  watched these two fireflies while on holiday in Anda, Bohol, The Philippines.

Power outage after dinner
Stars obscured in this foliage 
Embrace the raven black, its only night
Jungle eclipse fills the cottage

Then two fireflies flew in from between the thatch roof cracks
We two from our bed admire 
Their cold light frequencies whirling jubiliant lights
Synchronized phosphorescent couplet mystery
Little flicker souls glittering circles above our head, 
But beetle lifespan is like a breath

One glowworm fell like a fainting petal on the cold concrete floor
A luminous snowflake  or scintillant beating heart
I watch it immobile, still radiant

Surmise her partner lost its lightening
To the absinthal darkness


No comments:

Post a Comment